[SCIM] About trigger key and English/European mode.

Ming Hua minghua at rice.edu
Thu Aug 19 18:15:52 PDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 01:15:13AM +0100, LiuCougar wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:51:53 -0500, Ming Hua <minghua at rice.edu> wrote:
> > If you mean IMEngine frame in scim-setup, no it doesn't work.  You can
> > disable everything except English/European.  Actually you can choose to
> > disable English/European, but the panel ignore your setting.
> Ok, you are right: I confirmed this in the source code.

Good.  I've submitted it as bug #1140.  Not sure about the component
though (filed against IMEngine: Other, feel free to reassign).

> OTOH, this IMEngine is built-in in the scim library itself. I think,
> it would be better to split it in a separate plugin: otherwise this
> introduce un-necessary overhead for most CJK users.
>
> What's your opinion?

You mean my opinion?  I am not a developer after all, so I suppose it
doesn't matter much -- but anyway:  I believe there are currently two
built-in IMEngines in scim-lib, rawcode and this one.  I remember in the
early days rawcode is used as an example to the third-party IMEngine
programmers, and I don't think anybody really uses it.  I think as long
as they are disabled by default, there won't be much confusion.  But
again, I am not an English/European user, maybe it's important to
european users.  Hmm, is it possible to set different enable/disable
settings according to locale?

P.S.:  Please don't cc: me since I am subscribed.

P.P.S.:  What is the consensus about cc:ing on this mailing list?  Do I
need to explicitly say I don't need cc:?  (Cougar, I am not cc:ing you
for this mail, if you need, please tell me once, and I'll try to
remember that.)

Ming
2004.08.19