[SCIM] Installing SCIM

David Oftedal david at start.no
Tue Jun 15 23:57:43 PDT 2004

Hi!

First of all, this might be a known issue already, but the SCIM home
page points new users to the old, dead mailing list. If I hadn't looked
at the mailing list archives I would still have been waiting for an
answer there. I hope you remember to update the homepage from time to time!

Anyway, I've just upgraded my version of SCIM, and I've discovered that
because it depends on intltool, the whole installation has to be done in
the "C" locale. So I was wondering if:

1) Someone could reproduce the problem I had at first? Simply set LC_ALL
and LANG to "en_US.utf8" (Make sure that you have an en_US.utf8 locale,
or convert your en_US locale using localedef) and confirm that "make"
fails at the very end.

2) Devise a way of making sure that the locale is always forced to "C"
during the install in future versions.

A lot of people are using more or less exotic system locales these days,
so it would be an advantage if SCIM could force the locale back to "C"
automatically. I do believe this is a common problem with lots of
programs, so a modification of GNU make could also be a solution.

P.S. Thanks for integrating SCIM with both m17nlib and uim! Now SCIM is
not only a great input method, but also a great frontend! It'll be my
default XIM method from now on.

-David "浪人" Oftedal