[SCIM] Problems starting SCIM

David Oftedal david at start.no
Wed Jun 16 00:17:13 PDT 2004

Hello again! I'm now using SCIM version... 0.99.0, and I can't seem to
get it to start at all. I'm using the two command lines James described
on the UIM mailing list. However both give me errors and cause SCIM to
abort. Here's what I get when I try to start it:

*** scim -f socket -e uim -c simple -d ***

Can not load simple Config module. Using dummy module instead.
Creating backend ...
preedit start
status start
status draw
[etc. etc.]
uim IMEngine module is successfully loaded.
Failed to load socket FrontEnd module.

*** scim -f x11 -e socket -c socket -d ***

Can not load socket Config module. Using dummy module instead.
Creating backend ...
Failed to load socket IMEngine module.
Failed to load x11 FrontEnd module.

So basically SCIM refuses to start in either GTK or XIM. Could there be
something wrong with this particular build? It comes from the Gentoo
ebuild app-i18n/scim-0.99.0_pre20040614.

-David Oftedal