[SCIM] Pinyin and Tables disappeared from the menu.

Yukiko Bando ybando at k6.dion.ne.jp
Wed Jun 16 10:34:38 PDT 2004

Hello!

I updated my system (Mandrake 10.1 cooker) yesterday, it was a heavy update
(more than 800 Mb with lots of KDE packages), and after that I lost Smart
Pinyin and other Chinese input methods from the SCIM menu.  I tried
reinstalling all related packages (scim, scim-chinese, scim-tables, uim,
scim-uim, scim-m17n) couple of times but that didn't do the trick.   I can
see tables such as Wubi, Cantonese etc. in the setup window though...  UIM-*
and M17N-* that remain in the menu are all working fine.  What could be the
problem?

It seems the SCIM menu is not always updated properly.  I uninstalled
Mandrake's uim and scim-uim (for dependency) to install uim compiled without
m17n support, but when I restarted SCIM, UIM-* were still there.

I also wonder if there's a file that I can manually edit to get back the lost
entries, as a workaround, if they function.

Here's what I get when I start SCIM with a script and what $ uim -l gives.

#!/bin/sh
scim -f socket -e uim,m17n -c simple -d
scim -f x11 -e socket -c socket -d
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
Creating backend ...
uim IMEngine module is successfully loaded.
m17n IMEngine module is successfully loaded.
Starting SCIM as daemon ...
Smart Common Input Method 0.99.0

Creating backend ...
socket IMEngine module is successfully loaded.
Starting SCIM as daemon ...

$ scim -l
Smart Common Input Method 0.99.0

Available FrontEnd module: