[SCIM] Library filenames

Ming Hua minghua at rice.edu
Thu Jun 17 18:44:19 PDT 2004

Hi James,

I found out the libraries from SCIM are using a strange file name
convention.  Take the main library, libscim, for example, I am seeing
the following filenames installed (scim 0.9.6):
    /usr/lib/libscim-0.9.so.0.0.6
    /usr/lib/libscim-0.9.so.0 (symlink to libscim-0.9.so.0.0.6)
    /usr/lib/libscim.so (symlink to libscim-0.9.so.0)
    /usr/lib/libscim.a
    /usr/lib/libscim.la
Why are runtime libraries and development libraries using different
names?  Is it intentional, or I messed something up in my compiling?

(This is also true for CVS head, just with -0.99 suffix instead)

Thanks,
Ming
2004.06.17

Wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand.  The ordinary telegraph
is like a very long cat.  You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in
Los Angeles.  The wireless is the same, only without the cat.
                                                       --- Albert Einstein