[SCIM] Library filenames

Ming Hua minghua at rice.edu
Thu Jun 17 22:07:21 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 12:13:35PM +0800, Zhe Su wrote:
> You mean libscim-0.9.so.0 and libscim.so are different?

Yes, that was my question.

> Because, when
> developing an app which want to link with libscim, you may just pass a
> linker option like -lscim to g++. If libscim.so was renamed to
> libscim-0.9.so then you must pass -lscim-0.9. It's not so convenience
> because you may not know the version of libscim when linking the app.
>
> This is the rule of libtool not me.

Thanks for the explanation.  May I ask why SCIM is using the version
number in the filename instead of in SONAME number, I mean, from binary
compatibility point of view, SONAME change is all we need, so why no
just use libscim.so.1, libscim.so.2, etc. instead of libscim-0.9.so.0,
libscim-1.0.so.0?

I am asking this question because in Debian packaging, we need to
package shared library independently, and libscim-0.9.so.0 would be
packaged as libscim-0.9-0, while libscim.so.0 would be packaged as
libscim0.  I prefer short package names, of course.  And using
such names also imply binary incompatibily between each minor version
number bump.  Is that the case?

Thanks in advance,
Ming
2004.06.17

Wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand.  The ordinary telegraph
is like a very long cat.  You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in
Los Angeles.  The wireless is the same, only without the cat.
                                                       --- Albert Einstein