[SCIM] scim-lib SHOULD be independent

emfox at qingkui.com emfox at qingkui.com
Fri Jun 25 04:47:59 PDT 2004

Hello.

I'm a user of SCIM, thanks for the great project.

At linuxsir.org, i get some discussion about SCIM
(http://www.linuxsir.org/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=3D121911)
 i think i could say something about it.

IMHO, it is the best way to divide SCIM into serveral parts,
e.g. into scim-lib, scim-gtk, scim-qt, scim-x, scim-other(socket&conf?)

The most important thing is that, scim-lib SHOULD be independent,
without any GUI related part, like gtk or qt.

Noticed you've mentioned that installing and maintaining work will be
heavier, i think that's not right anyway. Installing two or three
binary packages isn't much harder than one :), and if the world will
be better, the increased maintaining work is valuable :).

and what's the better things will happen after that?
Many, of course. like, i could develop a scim-ncurse, to use scim
under console(it sounds exciting, isn't it?), or to develop a
scim-conf-python, it could use python to config scim(useless?), or
a scim-wxWidgets(another GUI frontend), etc. OTOH, it'll be easier
to port scim to other platform, for example, win32.

so that's all, sorry for my poor english :(