[SCIM] Simple hangul for scim-tables

Choe Hwanjin krisna at kldp.org
Wed Oct 20 07:07:24 PDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 03:38:11PM +0200, David wrote:
> I did some tests to learn how to create input method with scim-tables.
> The description of it is here:
> http://wiki.fontconfig.org/Software/ScimSupportLanguageNewTable
>
> The by-product of this tests is a korean input based on transcription. I
> was following the transcription rules for IIIMF simple hangul explaind
> on this page: http://www3.sympatico.ca/d.moser/hangul.html
>
> Lacking the hangul-transcription table, I generated one with a small
> Perl script from hangul.txt.in source code.
>
> The result seems OK. Of course it is not convenient enough for native
> user, but may be useful for westerners inputting korean occasionally.
>
> How it looks like? For example, to get "안녕하세요。요즈음
> 어떻게 지내십 니까?" I have to type "annyeongha seyo.yojeueum eo
> Deohge ji nae sibni Ga?".
>
> I think it could be greatly improved by either extending the table or
> adding some "smart" functions to allow for example such input as
> "annyeonghaseyo. yojeueum eoDeohge jinaesibniGa?". For the moment it is
> not that smart ;-).
>
> Anyone interested to give it a critical try?
>
> And I have a question. Anyone can explain what is this section for?
>
> BEGIN_CHAR_PROMPTS_DEFINITION
> END_CHAR_PROMPTS_DEFINITION
>
> It is in table src file.
>
> Best regards,
> David

I made a new hangul romaja input table:
http://people.kldp.org/~krisna/depot/HangulRomaja.txt

This is a script which generated a table above:
http://people.kldp.org/~krisna/depot/hangul_romaja_gen.py

There is a table for hangul romaja input already:
http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/ScimSupportLanguageNewTable
But this does not cover full unicode range of hangul.

So I made new version which cover full hangul unicode range.
And there are some differences in key sequences.

1. Double consonant can be inputed by pressing same key twice.
ex) gg -> ㄲ
    dd -> ㄸ
    ss -> ㅆ
    jj -> ㅉ

2. Vowel sequences are more intuitive
    ㅗ + ㅏ = ㅘ so 'oa' produce 'ㅘ', 'wa' also changed to 'ㅘ'
    ㅜ + ㅓ = ㅝ so 'ueo' produce 'ㅝ', 'wo' alse changed to 'ㅝ'
    ㅏ + ㅣ = ㅐ so 'ai' produce 'ㅐ'

3. 'r' is only used for Initial consonant and not trailing consonant.
And 'l' is used for trailing consonant only.

Key sequence table:

Choseong (Initial consonant)
ㄱ        g
ㄲ        gg, G