[SCIM] scim and x.org x11r6.8

Philippe Sam-Long psamlong at noos.fr
Fri Sep 24 13:56:27 UTC 2004

hello all,

First thank you for all this work, I use scim since about 1 year, scim
is really great.
I have problems now with scim 1.0.1 that are likely to be related with a
recent upgrade to x.org x11r6.8 on my gentoo box, i could not find
something about it reported anywhere, please forgive if these problems
are already known.

The related installed packages on my system are the following :
xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1
scim-1.0.1
scim-chinese-0.4.2
scim-tables-0.4.3
scim-m17n-0.1.3

The first problem is that scim fails to load the x11 frontend module.
here is the output :
/phil at citronelle /home/phil $ scim
Smart Common Input Method 1.0.1

Launching a SCIM daemon with Socket FrontEnd...
Creating backend ...
    [...]
m17n IMEngine module is successfully loaded.
pinyin IMEngine module is successfully loaded.
rawcode IMEngine module is successfully loaded.
    [...]
table IMEngine module is successfully loaded.
Starting SCIM as daemon ...
Launching a SCIM process with x11...
Creating backend ...
    [...]
socket IMEngine module is successfully loaded.
Failed to load x11 FrontEnd module.
SCIM has exited abnormally.
/
Anyway, loading with the socket frontend module is all right, with the
following command :
/phil at citronelle ~ $ scim -f socket
[...]
/
After that, I export the following variables in the terminal from which
I wish to launch applications where scim is enabled :
/LANG=fr_FR
LC_ALL=fr_FR
LC_CTYPE=zh_CN
KDE_LANG=fr_FR
XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
export LANG LC_CTYPE KDE_LANG XMODIFIERS//
/
Most of the applications load successfully then, except the following
ones for now :

abiword does not crash but stops after splash screen and displaying this
message :
/phil at citronelle /home/phil $ abiword-2.0
SCIM: im_module_init
free(): invalid pointer 0x86b94a8!
free(): invalid pointer 0x86b9480!/

gnome-theme-manager stops after just displaying "SCIM: im_module_init"

gaim crashes while double-clicking on a buddy to chat with.

best regards, hope that helps,

Philippe