[Spice-devel] Spice in Fedora Rawhide?

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Apr 22 01:28:14 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 12:00 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Hi everyone. I've been following spice development casually, hopefully as
> a technology we can use for a big virtualization project in the next year or
> so.
>
> I notice that Spice is included in the RHEL 6 beta, which is very cool --
> congratulations to everyone who worked on that.
>
> However, the state of things in the Fedora project is a little weak. There's
> a repo for Fedora 12, but it hasn't been updated in some time.
>
> What would it take to get Spice into Fedora Rawhide and updated with regular
> development snapshots? This would increase practical exposure significantly
> by making the technology easily available to a lot more testers.

We're currently working heavily on getting spice into fedora. We've now
dropped all the "problematic" dependencies (ffmpeg, forked cairo, etc)
so we're in a much better state for his. The next major problem is that
Fedora doesn't really accept "leaf" libraries (i.e. ones not used by an
application), so we need to get the fedora qemu to use spice, which
means we need to get upstream qemu to take patches for spice support.

This work is led by Gerd Hoffmann and can be followed in this list. We
hope to have patches that we can send to upstream qemu very soon.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's an immortal ninja werewolf on the edge. She's a provocative motormouth
magician's assistant married to the Mob. They fight crime!