[Spice-devel] Spice in Fedora Rawhide?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Apr 22 05:58:43 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:28:14AM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> We're currently working heavily on getting spice into fedora. We've now
> dropped all the "problematic" dependencies (ffmpeg, forked cairo, etc)
> so we're in a much better state for his.

Good to hear -- thanks.

>                                          The next major problem is that
> Fedora doesn't really accept "leaf" libraries (i.e. ones not used by an
> application), so we need to get the fedora qemu to use spice, which
> means we need to get upstream qemu to take patches for spice support.

Getting upstream qemu to have the patches sounds important regardless, but
I'm unclear on the first part of what you say here. Wouldn't any libraries
needed for spice by definition be used by an application?

> This work is led by Gerd Hoffmann and can be followed in this list. We
> hope to have patches that we can send to upstream qemu very soon.

I think it'd probably be productive to have the existing (or a new) yum
repository for fedora ready to go. It could hold the patched qemu, plus
RPMs of nightly snapshots of the source. Does that make sense? It's
something I could work on if it'd be helpful.

I don't see any spec file templates in the git trees -- do you have those
internally somewhere?

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>