[Spice-devel] spice server performance

xuzhinong999 xuzhinong999 at 163.com
Wed Dec 1 18:30:43 PST 2010

Any response on this issue? I know maybe qemu/spiceServer performance has been discussed long
time ago, but i can only find the latest year's discussion records in spice-devel forum, so
maybe i missed the previous discussions...

1. My qemu/spiceServer process starts up as :
qemu-spice-bill -boot c -hda /opt/vdisk/xp111.img -m 512 -enable-kvm -soundhw all -vga qxl -net
 nic,vlan=0,model=rtl8139 -net tap,vlan=0,ifname=tap111,script=/opt/vdisk/qemu-
ifup,downscript=/opt/vdisk/qemu-ifdown -spice port=8111,playback-compression=off,image-
compression=quic,disable-ticketing -usbdevice tablet -daemonize

are these parameters correct?

2. From qemu help, i found this parameter:
-cpu cpu        select CPU (-cpu ? for list)

when i check cpu type supported:
[root at sai build]# qemu-spice-bill -cpu ?
x86       Opteron_G3
x86       Opteron_G2
x86       Opteron_G1
x86          Nehalem
x86           Penryn
x86           Conroe
x86           [n270]
x86         [athlon]
x86       [pentium3]
x86       [pentium2]
x86        [pentium]
x86            [486]
x86        [coreduo]
x86          [kvm32]
x86         [qemu32]
x86          [kvm64]
x86       [core2duo]
x86         [phenom]
x86         [qemu64]

I can decide as default, qemu/spiceServer use qemu64 virtual cpu. But the physical cpu i am
using is Intel E5504, will qemu use cpu to translate between qemu64 and the physical cpu? Will
the 'kvm64' virtual cpu type help?

Thanks.

Bill