[Spice-devel] The interaction between qxl driver and spiceserver for video stream?

梁亮 ll_nwpu at 163.com
Fri Dec 17 05:51:39 PST 2010

Dear all,

Several days ago I tried using spice and really impressed by its  performance, really good job! Then I tried to dig the details, mainly focus on graphics subsystem and learned a lot. Thank you!

During studying the handling for stream data, I'm lost in the interaction of qemu display driver and spice server. So I send this mail to consult you experts some simple questions  :-)
1. For the video played in Guest OS, my understanding is that media player (for example, mplayer) in Guest OS will decode the video file and the display driver(qxl driver) will process decoded frames. Is it true? Then display driver will store frame data into stream chain of RedWorker? Each frame will be stored or just some key frames? For above descriptions, they are just my assumption, I have not found provens from the code. Help you could share some hints about the detail.
2. Each stream data will be encoded using MJpeg on server side and decoded on client side. Have the team considered higher compression rate codec, like mpeg-4?  If yes, could you help share the reason why it's not adopted? My understanding is that video application is the killer application and consume much bandwidth for remote display system.

Thank you and have a nice weekend!

Thanks,
Liang