[Spice-devel] cannot boot from virtio / no -qxl option

Frédéric Grelot fredericg_99 at yahoo.fr
Wed May 19 04:12:35 PDT 2010

> Well, there is upstream qemu and there is qemu-kvm which carries
> additional patches (including extboot which handles booting from
> virtio). fedora ships qemu-kvm ...

I can confirm that my other vms run with qemu-kvm.
Does this difference also explains that "-smp 2" does not work with spice?

> Oh, right, this is unstable. I never actually tried X11 with this,
> only windows guests. The qxl device is *not* compatible with older
> spice qxl
> devices, which is likely the reason why it fails. We plan to fix this
> (so the new qxl device can handle guests with old qxl drivers just
> fine), but it doesn't work yet.

OK, I'll wait for these, and am ready to test compatibility if you want me to.

> Not sure whenever some qxl x11 driver for unstable exists somewhere?

Isn't qxl part of the "spice project"? I don't really understand why xorg-x11-drv-qxl can be found in fedora repos while spice is not "officially" merged?

> Well, almost. Secondary qxl devices are added via "-device qxl".

OK, thanks for this precision (I also saw this in your last patch set for v8).
By the way, could you tell me from which branch the "qemu-unstable-spice" of kraxel's repo comes from? Is it always updated to the latest?

Frederic.