[Spice-devel] cannot boot from virtio / no -qxl option

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Wed May 19 05:50:54 PDT 2010

On 05/19/10 13:12, Frédéric Grelot wrote:

>> Well, there is upstream qemu and there is qemu-kvm which carries
>> additional patches (including extboot which handles booting from
>> virtio). fedora ships qemu-kvm ...
>
> I can confirm that my other vms run with qemu-kvm.
> Does this difference also explains that "-smp 2" does not work with spice?

Yes.

>> Not sure whenever some qxl x11 driver for unstable exists somewhere?
>
> Isn't qxl part of the "spice project"? I don't really understand why xorg-x11-drv-qxl can be found in fedora repos while spice is not "officially" merged?

Both spice and xorg live @ freedesktop.org

qxl driver is here:
   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-qxl/

experimental bits are here:
   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~sandmann/xf86-video-qxl/log/?h=surface0

Didn't test whenever they are complete and actually work.

>> Well, almost. Secondary qxl devices are added via "-device qxl".
>
> OK, thanks for this precision (I also saw this in your last patch set for v8).

There is v9 now, which is basically v8 rebased to latest upstream qemu.
  That one can boot from virtio.

Package builds for the fedora repo are underway.

> By the way, could you tell me from which branch the "qemu-unstable-spice" of kraxel's repo comes from? Is it always updated to the latest?

Right now it is v5, will jump to v9 soon.

cheers,
   Gerd