[Spice-devel] Unstable package issues

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Fri May 21 02:10:46 PDT 2010

On 05/20/10 12:21, Daire Byrne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a quick go with the latest "unstable" fedora12 packages (x86_64)
> but my simple winxp (32bit) image just sits at 100% cpu usage once it
> (eventually) boots up which impacts spice performance. If I boot up
> the same image using the default F12 qemu then cpu usage looks normal
> and the boot process is much faster.

The qemu repo is based on upstream qemu (unlike vdesktop which is based
on qemu-kvm).  Not all qemu-kvm features have been merged into upstream
qemu yet, this is still work-in-progress.  One of the missing features
is using the kernels PIC/IOAPIC/LAPIC emulation instead of doing it in
userspace.  I think this hits winxp especially hard because it uses the
tpr alot.

The performance should be roughly the same as the stock F12 qemu-kvm
with '-no-kvm-irqchip' passed as additional parameter.

> By the way thanks for these packages - it makes it so much easier to
> test spice developments.

Great.

> BTW does the "unstable" video driver work on
> win7 (32/64) yet or is there another driver I can use for it?

I think they are supposed to work on win7 too (unlike spice 0.4
drivers).  Havn't tried yet though.

/me is waiting for a new laptop with a larger hard disk, so I can have
more test images laying around permanently ...

cheers,
   Gerd