[Spice-devel] How much CPU load will spice server take? Is it possible to take spice client to do more processing?

Frédéric Grelot fredericg_99 at yahoo.fr
Tue Nov 16 21:47:03 PST 2010

> > And if I'm understanding it right, in the futur features "Video
> > acceleration" is expected to address this use case?
> >

> Yes, note though that there is no ETA of this feature yet.

Yep, I've noticed that (i've been following the spice-space website for more than a year now...).

> > By the way, let's imagine that I'm playing some flash video (youtube
> > for example) in full-screen. Is the flash plugin actually using the
> > "upscaling" 2D command, so that this is done client-side ?
>
> Yes, if you play normal resolution flash videos fullscreened on a
> monitor with say 1920x1080, you will
> see this will work fine. OTOH if you play hd resolution flashvideos,
> you will see the same problem
> as with playing local hd videos multiplied by the flash is a cpu hog
> factor :(

Hmmm... Unfortunately this is a well known flash issue....
They just started to provide versions that use Intel/AMD-ATI/nVidia acceleration, I'm not sure they are considering QXL yet!
By the way for my personal culture, I'm not aware of qxl internals but do you already know how it should work? : provide OpenGL generic APIs to the applications, transmit them through the network layer and execute them on client's side, or provide specific wrapper that reflects the client's card driver?

Frederic.