[Spice-devel] How much CPU load will spice server take? Is it possible to take spice client to do more processing?

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Wed Nov 17 01:49:44 PST 2010

Hi,

On 11/17/2010 01:58 AM, Frédéric Grelot wrote:

>>> http://www.spice-space.org/features.html
>>> Graphic commands - processes and transmits 2D graphic commands
>>
>> Correct, and video decoding is not a 2d graphics command (otoh
>> upscaling is).
>>

> Understood.
> And if I'm understanding it right, in the futur features "Video acceleration" is expected to address this use case?

Yes, note though that there is no ETA of this feature yet.

> By the way, let's imagine that I'm playing some flash video (youtube for example) in full-screen. Is the flash plugin actually using the "upscaling" 2D command, so that this is done client-side ?

Yes, if you play normal resolution flash videos fullscreened on a monitor with say 1920x1080, you will
see this will work fine. OTOH if you play hd resolution flashvideos, you will see the same problem
as with playing local hd videos multiplied by the flash is a cpu hog factor :(

Regards,

Hans