[Spice-devel] Linux client, menu and gui

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Thu Oct 21 06:35:55 PDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 03:27:20PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> So I was under the mistaken impression that enabling building with cegui for
> the linux client would also give the linux client menu support.
>
> But it turns out that the 2 are 2 different things. Compiling with
> --enable-gui adds an in window gui which can be used to connect
> when no hostname + port is given on the spicec commandline, and not
> much more.
it let's you see a nice [ALT] overlay when alt is pressed for a long time.
(to do Ctrl-Alt-Del without triggering client).

> Where as the menu code, which is only available under windows, extends
> the right click on window title bar menu under windows. Under Linux
> there is no equivalent functionality.
>
> Since the menu is important to have, as it allows things like sending
> special key combis and also things like attach / detaching devices
> like a smartcart-reader, we will need to support the menu in the Linux
> client too sooner or later.
>
> I'm going to be optimistic and assume that the gtk client will simply
> have a gtk popup menu which pops up on some special key combi, implementing
> the menu.
>
> So the question then becomes do we want to do something to add a menu
> to the X11 spice client (*), or do we wait till the gtk client becomes
> available generally?

I think adding a popup menu that opens with some keyboard shortcut, which
we can alert to in the title bar (getting crowded). The popup itself
can be done with some windowing toolkit, like gtk (I'm going to make an
example of this).

> Regards,
>
> Hans
>

> *) Like put it in the empty gui which gets drawn when one presses shift+f7
> in a client compiled with cegui support.

In the future we should be able to do exactly the same systemmenu using
http://live.gnome.org/GTK+/ClientSideDecorations (although I'm not sure how
it works with KDE with regards to look and feel).