[Spice-devel] BSOD when booting Win7 Pro with spice

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Fri Jan 28 12:06:09 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 08:48:06PM +0100, Julian Sikorski wrote:
> W dniu 28.01.2011 15:32, Alon Levy pisze:
> > On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:45:07AM +0100, Julian Sikorski wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I wanted to try spice on Fedora 14. I have a Win7 Pro 32bit image which
> >> was created with virt manager. I later added virtio network and drive to
> >> it, installing drivers in the guest as well.
> >> The problem is that if I try to use this machine as per F14 wiki, i.e.:
> >> qemu /var/lib/libvirt/images/windows.img -usbdevice tablet -soundhw ac97
> >> -vga qxl -spice port=5930,password=asd -enable-kvm
> >> the windows guest will BSOD during boot (note that I need to do this as
> >> su due to the way how virt-manager sets permissions).
> >> Is this issue known? What info could I provide to help resolving this?
> >
> > So which version do you have, 0.7.2?
>
> I tried both the version from f14 updates and from f14 preview repo.
> Neither of them works.
>
> >does the vm boot normally when booting without spice?
>
> Yes, I can boot the machine via the virt-manager just fine.
>
> does the vm have qxl driver installed already?
>
> IIRC it does not. Where I can downlad such driver, and would it be OK to
> install it while booted via virt-manager with no spice?

If you didn't install it it wouldn't have, the driver isn't part of win7
install or available via updates or something. But actually I don't want you
to install it, I mean it might help (so you might want to try that - it's
available at http://www.spice-space.org/download.html) but this means the
problem is with the qxl device vga emulation. (I still have no clue)

> >can you give the bsod screenshot (from monitor in qemu you can do screendump <filename.ppm>)?
>
> http://belegdol.fedorapeople.org/spicebsod.png

How much memory do you give the vm? it seems like you are giving it the default. Could you try enlarging that? I'm just saying this because
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326679

> I hope this will make it more clear what I am trying to accomplish, or
> show where I am doing the wrong thing.

It certainly helps, thanks for taking the time to report this.