[Spice-devel] repository reorg

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Thu Jun 23 03:35:06 PDT 2011

Hi,

On 06/23/2011 12:18 PM, Alon Levy wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 05:00:10PM +0200, Alon Levy wrote:
>> Hi All,
>
> Ok, take two with Gerd's and Hans's and Uri's comments.
>
>   (1) spice-protocol - keep it, move code generation stuff here
>   (spice_codegen.py, python_modules, spice*.proto), and have the dist tarball
>   contain the cpp and c files resulting from running it.

I think it would be best to only have qxldev + agent + controller headers here,
and have a real spice-common library which would also contain the .proto file,
generator and have compiled marshaller code end up inside the spice-common.so.0
file. IOW common would have anything common between the server and any client(s).

So:
-.proto
-code generator
-the rendered

And the generated .so would contain both the render and the marshaller code, since
both sides will need these both.

>   (2) spice-server - new repo from spice/server, will submodule common. will
>   keep requiring spice-protocol as a separate entity, and will reference the c
>   files therein (does this make any sense, carrying c files as installed files?
>   I can't think of any other outcome of moving the codegen to spice-protocol)

See above, having a proper common for protocol + render stuff would avoid the
need for ugly hacks with installing C-files.

>   (3) spice-client - this will be the spice-gtk repo (or is anyone in favor of
>   keeping spice-gtk name?), and it will submodule common too.
>
>   (4) common - submodule. easier to do cross changes with spice-server and spice-client,
>   dist tarballs package it (for spice-client, spice-server).

I would rather see common become a proper lib..

Regards,

Hans