[Spice-devel] repository reorg

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Thu Jun 23 03:43:59 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 12:28:31PM +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 12:18:11PM +0200, Alon Levy wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 05:00:10PM +0200, Alon Levy wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> >
> > Ok, take two with Gerd's and Hans's and Uri's comments.
> >
> >  (1) spice-protocol - keep it, move code generation stuff here
> >  (spice_codegen.py, python_modules, spice*.proto), and have the dist tarball
> >  contain the cpp and c files resulting from running it.
> >
> >  (2) spice-server - new repo from spice/server, will submodule common. will
> >  keep requiring spice-protocol as a separate entity, and will reference the c
> >  files therein (does this make any sense, carrying c files as installed files?
> >  I can't think of any other outcome of moving the codegen to spice-protocol)
>
> Installing generated C files on the system as part of spice-protocol, and
> referring these from spice-server looks really ugly to me. Another option
Yeah.

> would be to install the python code and the .proto file as part of
> spice-protocol and to use these system-wide tools to generate the .c files
> as we do already. This would only need minimal changes to the build system,
> and we could still ship the generated files as part of each project
> tarballs (a bit unusual, but why not).
sounds good.

> Another option could be to combine common and spice-protocol, and to build
> the generated files as part of this combination, but I don't know if it makes
> sense at all.

common contains other stuff:
 canvas implementation (i.e. renderes), used by client and server
 ssl_verify - used by both
 quic encoder - server
 quic decoder - client
  (same for the other encoders and decoders, lz and glc)

It's easiest to have this as a submodule and not bother with turning it to a library. (well,
it's even easier not to touch it at all, but I proposed changing this because I don't like the
fact that it is duplicated into each repository).