[Spice-devel] spice 0.6.3 slower than 0.4?

Vermonden David david.vermonden at markdal.be
Mon Mar 14 02:00:28 PDT 2011

Thanks for your quick response!

When I try to install the virtio-serial driver my XPSP3 always complains
it can't be installed. I used:
http://spice-space.org/download/unstable/vioserial-win-1.1.16.zip How
can i troubleshoot this?

Is the vdagent (service) supposed to be always running on the guest? Or
does it only starts when "nessesary"? When I manually start that service
it immediately stops. Maybe due to the uninstalled vio serial device?

Slower when I play a movie (tried serveral). For instance when playing a
need for speed full HD movie it goes very smooth with spice 0.4 with
correct sound synchronisation but when using 0.6.3 or 0.8 it shocks
(when heavy action it's almost a slide show) and the sound isn't
syncronised anymore.

For spice 0.6.3 I used qemu version 0.13. For spice 0.8 I tried with
both Qemu 0.13 and 0.14. In both cases I enabled kvm otherwises they are
both quite slow. For spice 0.4 I used qemu-spice on Fedora 12 (installed
from the rpm's in the Downloadsection "Spice RPMs for for Fedora 12

Do you advise to use the virtio disk driver when using the spiced Qemu?

Is it also good to use qxl driver 0.6.1 in conjunction with spice 0.8 or
is it better to wait for qxl driver 0.8?

Thanks again! I really want to keep using this great software.

Kind regards,
David