[Spice-devel] spice & multiple monitors

Emre Erenoglu erenoglu at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 23:11:38 PDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Alon Levy <alevy at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 06:36:17PM +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a linux system with two monitors, one internal screen of my laptop
> > running at 1280x800 and the other is a 22" monitor with 1920x1080
> > resolution. I use them in an extended desktop mode.
> >
> > I would like to assign both of these screens to the virtual machine
> running
> > qxl, but I didn't see anywhere how I can do that. I want that the guest
> > machine sees two monitors connected to it, so that I can use it just like
> > use a real system (ie moving windows from one screen to another, etc.).
> >
> > The only option I found relevant is the   -f, --full-screen[=auto-conf]
>  but
> > it does not work as I expect. Would this boil down to the guest agent
> issue
> > or is there something I need to do?
> >
> > spice is 0.8.0, qemu 0.14.
>
> To get two monitors you need to run the vm with two qxl devices. The first
> one gets created by the "-vga qxl", the second (and more - you can have
> up to four) gets created with "-device qxl". The client should pick them
> up automatically, the old client knows to close or open a window if the
> guest
> disables or reenables the screen, the spice-gtk client doesn't do that yet
> so you will get a number of windows with it anyway.

Hi Alon,

Thanks, I managed to do what you're saying. The only issue I'm facing is
that mouse is now sometimes loosing coordinate synchronization so it becomes
impossible to work. Is this a known bug? Shall I report it somewhere?

Is there any way that this works in fullscreen mode covering both screens of
my system?
--
Emre