[Spice-devel] spice & multiple monitors

Emre Erenoglu erenoglu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 05:04:11 PDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Alon Levy <alevy at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 10:11:38AM +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:

> laptop

> > > running
> guest
> like
> etc.).

> --full-screen[=auto-conf]
> > >  but
> > > issue

> > > To get two monitors you need to run the vm with two qxl devices. The
> first
> > > one gets created by the "-vga qxl", the second (and more - you can have
> > > up to four) gets created with "-device qxl". The client should pick
> them
> > > up automatically, the old client knows to close or open a window if the
> > > guest
> > > disables or reenables the screen, the spice-gtk client doesn't do that
> yet
> > > so you will get a number of windows with it anyway.
> > >

> > Hi Alon,
> >
> > Thanks, I managed to do what you're saying. The only issue I'm facing is
> > that mouse is now sometimes loosing coordinate synchronization so it
> becomes
> > impossible to work. Is this a known bug? Shall I report it somewhere?
>
> I am not aware of it, please check if it's already reported in freedesktop
> or
> redhat bugzillas (bugzilla.freedesktop.org and bugzilla.redhat.comrespectively).
> If it isn't reported please report it in freedesktop, thanks!

I will, thanks. I was using  spicec client (which you referred as "old"), so
I will also try with the spice-gtk client to reproduce.

> > Is there any way that this works in fullscreen mode covering both screens
> of
> > my system?
>
> You mean you want to have a single qxl device (i.e. single monitor since
> each qxl
> device is a single monitor device) and the client should use both client
> (physical)
> screens in fullscreen? we don't support that in spicec afaik, and I don't
> think
> anyone has ever considered that - sounds useful if you have two monitors of
> the
> same resolution and physically adjacent. Actually just setting a resolution
> in the
> guest should work in windowed mode (set a large enough resolution and the
> window
> will use space from both monitors), but fullscreen I think will pick one of
> the monitors.

Well, not really. In my setup, I have a big VGA monitor (22") with 1920x1080
resolution, and below it, I have my laptop screen (1280x800). For example, I
adjust 2nd screen to match the laptop resolution (ie 1280x800), so I get a
2nd window matching this in my host.

I want to maximize this window in the laptop screen such that it covers the
entire screen (since resolutions match) --> fullscreen.

We can image the same thing if the 1st window (ie 1920x1080) also matches
the VGA monitor at 1920x1080. It shall also be "fullscreen-able".

In the current client, if I set a 2nd monitor of 1280x800, I get this window
in the host system, I move it to the laptop screen (at 1280x800 also), but I
have to deal with the window borders and it can't be fully occupying the
whole screen in that monitor. Hope I could explain myself :)

It would be good, if we could double click any client window border and it
can become fullscreen in the monitor it is residing, with a key-press option
to return to a window mode (ie CTRL+ALT+ENTER etc.). With this, I could have
a virtual system exactly as if I'm working on real hardware.

--
Emre