[Spice-devel] spice & multiple monitors

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Mon Mar 28 05:20:41 PDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 04:04:11PM +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Alon Levy <alevy at redhat.com> wrote:

> > laptop

> > guest
> > like
> > etc.).

> > --full-screen[=auto-conf]

> > first
> > them
> > yet
> > > >

> > > Hi Alon,
> > >
> > > Thanks, I managed to do what you're saying. The only issue I'm facing is
> > > that mouse is now sometimes loosing coordinate synchronization so it
> > becomes
> > > impossible to work. Is this a known bug? Shall I report it somewhere?
> >
> > I am not aware of it, please check if it's already reported in freedesktop
> > or
> > redhat bugzillas (bugzilla.freedesktop.org and bugzilla.redhat.comrespectively).
> > If it isn't reported please report it in freedesktop, thanks!
> >

> I will, thanks. I was using  spicec client (which you referred as "old"), so
> I will also try with the spice-gtk client to reproduce.
>

> > > Is there any way that this works in fullscreen mode covering both screens
> > of
> > > my system?
> >
> > You mean you want to have a single qxl device (i.e. single monitor since
> > each qxl
> > device is a single monitor device) and the client should use both client
> > (physical)
> > screens in fullscreen? we don't support that in spicec afaik, and I don't
> > think
> > anyone has ever considered that - sounds useful if you have two monitors of
> > the
> > same resolution and physically adjacent. Actually just setting a resolution
> > in the
> > guest should work in windowed mode (set a large enough resolution and the
> > window
> > will use space from both monitors), but fullscreen I think will pick one of
> > the monitors.
> >

> Well, not really. In my setup, I have a big VGA monitor (22") with 1920x1080
> resolution, and below it, I have my laptop screen (1280x800). For example, I
> adjust 2nd screen to match the laptop resolution (ie 1280x800), so I get a
> 2nd window matching this in my host.
>
> I want to maximize this window in the laptop screen such that it covers the
> entire screen (since resolutions match) --> fullscreen.
The entire laptop's screen?

So:
 Guest:
  Monitor 1: 1920x1080
  Monitor 2: 1280x800
?

> We can image the same thing if the 1st window (ie 1920x1080) also matches
> the VGA monitor at 1920x1080. It shall also be "fullscreen-able".
>
> In the current client, if I set a 2nd monitor of 1280x800, I get this window
> in the host system, I move it to the laptop screen (at 1280x800 also), but I
> have to deal with the window borders and it can't be fully occupying the
> whole screen in that monitor. Hope I could explain myself :)
Yes, of course, and you also have the window manager's bottom/top parts that
occupy some screen real-estate. That's what fullscreen is for.

> It would be good, if we could double click any client window border and it
> can become fullscreen in the monitor it is residing, with a key-press option
> to return to a window mode (ie CTRL+ALT+ENTER etc.). With this, I could have
> a virtual system exactly as if I'm working on real hardware.

Right - we have fullscreen support, it's triggered (in and out) by default by
Shift-F11 with spicec, and with spicy (in spicy you can also toggle it from the
menu). In spicec the shortcut is configurable, not sure about spicy. In vinagre
you can also use the fullscreen feature via it's spice support (that uses
spice-gtk).