[Spice-devel] anyone using skype with windows7 successfully?

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Sun May 8 02:29:23 PDT 2011

On 05/08/2011 12:20 PM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Yaniv Kaul<ykaul at redhat.com>  wrote:
>> Windows 7 32 bit guest
>> and trying to use skype, I'm able to open the application and hear the
>> typical sound right after startup but after a few seconds I get an
>> error and need to close with this kind of information:
>>
>> We've had issues in the past (with ancient Skype and on XP) when the CPU had
>> some flags Skype did not expect (or expected and the vCPU lacked).
>> Can you try with '-cpu host' see if there's a difference?
>> Y.
> This seems to fix the skype crash indeed for me too.

The original issue -
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/46048

> I selected "copy host cpu configuration " in virt-manager.
> I don't know if this is what you suggested or if I should use a sort
> of wrapper for qemu launch.

Indeed, this is it. The result is probably the same as '-cpu host' on
the QEMU command line.

> Previous:
> /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc-0.14 -enable-kvm -m 1536 -smp
> 1,sockets=1,cores=1,threads=1 -name w7test
>
> Now after this setting:
> /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc-0.14 -cpu
> core2duo,+lahf_lm,+sse4.1,+xtpr,+cx16,+tm2,+est,+vmx,+ds_cpl,+pbe,+tm,+ht,+ss,+acpi,+ds
> -enable-kvm -m 1536 -smp 1,sockets=1,cores=1,threads=1 -name w7test
>
> skype test call I would say is perfect, probably better than native
> one on Linux (also due to different app quality itself between
> platforms)...
>
> The downside I'm experimenting is many spicy crashes:
> - always when doing copy from host to guest
> - sometimes simply opening the browser

Are those related to the changes above, or unrelated?

> - One time as soon as I make the copy from host I get the crash in
> spicy with this inside log of host
> handle_dev_input: oom current 807 pipe 0
> reds_main_handle_message: invalid agent message
> reds_disconnect:
> red_dispatcher_shutdown_cursor_peer:
> handle_dev_input: cursor disconnect
> red_dispatcher_shutdown_peer:
> handle_dev_input: disconnect
>
> Then I rereun spicy and I'm able to run the paste of the previous copy....
>
> Any hint, eventually in debugging to help?

If it crashes, probably attaching gdb and getting the stack would be useful.
Please report the versions of the spicy and the agent, etc.
Thanks,
Y.