[Spice-devel] celt 0.5.1 dependency of spice

Emre Erenoglu erenoglu at gmail.com
Sun May 8 05:47:33 PDT 2011

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Alon Levy <alevy at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 03:43:21PM +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> > Dear Developers,
> >
> > I'm the package maintainer for some virtualization related packages in
> > Pardus distribution. I would like to take spice into our package
> > repositories, however, I'm facing an issue with the celt package.
> >
> > I'm sure you're aware of the issue. Spice is depending on celt 0.5.1,
> while
> > we have version 0.10.0 in our repositories. The distribution managers are
> > not willing to introduce another version of the same celt package, nor
> > downgrading the existing one.
> >
> > Is there any way to link spice to the newer celt, or are we in a dead
> end?
> >

> This problem has been raised multiple times on the list, you should read
> the
> archives. To recap: historically when spice had to choose a codec it chose
> the
> current celt then, 0.5.1. That celt is not compatible with newer celts. The
> decision was to wait for celt's on wire format to stabilize. This hasn't
> happened
> yet (perhaps it will happen soon). It is however possible to introduce
> support
> for multiple codecs and have the client and server negotiate. This will
> still not
> allow a celt 0.10.0 linked spice server to connect to celt 0.5.1 client, or
> vice
> versa.

Thanks Alon, I know the history, I had a small hope that situation could
have been resolved by now. Anyway, I understand that spice is not compatible
with 0.10 and therefore we can't link it to the celt in our repository.

In this case, I will try to negotiate with the distribution managers to see
what we can do to include spice in the repos.
--
Emre