[Spice-devel] celt 0.5.1 dependency of spice

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Sun May 8 05:38:17 PDT 2011

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 03:43:21PM +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> Dear Developers,
>
> I'm the package maintainer for some virtualization related packages in
> Pardus distribution. I would like to take spice into our package
> repositories, however, I'm facing an issue with the celt package.
>
> I'm sure you're aware of the issue. Spice is depending on celt 0.5.1, while
> we have version 0.10.0 in our repositories. The distribution managers are
> not willing to introduce another version of the same celt package, nor
> downgrading the existing one.
>
> Is there any way to link spice to the newer celt, or are we in a dead end?

This problem has been raised multiple times on the list, you should read the
archives. To recap: historically when spice had to choose a codec it chose the
current celt then, 0.5.1. That celt is not compatible with newer celts. The
decision was to wait for celt's on wire format to stabilize. This hasn't happened
yet (perhaps it will happen soon). It is however possible to introduce support
for multiple codecs and have the client and server negotiate. This will still not
allow a celt 0.10.0 linked spice server to connect to celt 0.5.1 client, or vice
versa.