[Spice-devel] How do I install vioser in virt-manager?

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 11:46:19 PST 2011

On 11/14/2011 01:13 AM, David Jaša wrote:
> Todd And Margo Chester píše v Ne 13. 11. 2011 v 19:25 -0800:

>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>>     I am confused.  Any change you can show me an example?  Are you
>>> running Virtio-serial on your machine?  Can you show me what yours
>>> looks like?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>>      Maybe it would if I got a bit more specific as to why I am confused.
>> Now, I am good at editing, and have used "vi" for years, and am no
>> stranger to copying and pasting.  I just don't understand the why
>> behind what I am pasting.
>>
>>      Specifically, this line from
>> http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementCharChannel:
>>
>>       <channel type='pty'>
>>          <target type='virtio' name='arbitrary.virtio.serial.port.name'/>
>>       </channel>
>>
>> "arbitrary.virtio.serial.port.name" is what is confusing me.  I highly
>> doubt this is the "any key".  "arbitrary" always has to be matched with
>> "arbitrary" somewhere else.  What somewhere else?  This is confusing me.
>> And, why an example of your (or anyone else's) would be of great help.
>>

> Hi Todd,
>
> there are three channels defined in the documentation. You only need the
> last one, whose type is spicevmc:
>
>    <devices>
>
>      <!-- your other devices -->
>
>      <channel type='spicevmc'>
>        <target type='virtio' name='com.redhat.spice.0'/>
>      </channel>
>    </devices>
>
> David

Thank you.  Got it installed and the device showed up in my Windows
guest.  I got the Windows virtio serial drivers installed for it to
in the guest.  Still no clipboard.

>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I can not get /etc/rc.d/init.d/spice-vdagentd to start because of the line
>>
>>       [ -c $port ] || exit 0    # where "$port" =
>> "/dev/virtio-ports/com.redhat.spice.0"
>>
>> in the "start" function.
>>
>> Problem: I have no "/dev/virtio-ports" directory.  "spice-vdagentd" exits as
>> it is suppose to.
>>
>> How do I get "/dev/virtio-ports/com.redhat.spice.0" to show up?  What did I
>> not install?  What am I doing wrong?
>>
> It has to be on qemu-kvm command line or in libvirt's domain xml. We
> told you all the instructions in previous thread, if you don't
> understand something, please ask there more concretely.
>
> David

Hi David,

Please remember that my skill level at this is considerably lower
than yours and there is a strong possibility I did not understand
what you told me.

Here is were I am currently at.  From my research on the following
sites:

      http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/SPICE

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/braindump/f15-winxppro.xml.txt
      http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementCharChannel
      http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtioSerial

I do believe what I have to do is put the following on either
the command line or in the virt xml file (am I wrong?):

    -device virtio-serial-pci
    -device virtserialport,chardev=spicechannel0,name=com.redhat.spice.0
    -chardev spicevmc,id=spicechannel0,name=vdagent

Now with the miracle of the "ps" command, I am looking at the run
string that virsh is using.  I find the following in the run
string (let me know if you want to see the entire string):

   /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm  ... \

   -device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5 ...\

   -chardev spicevmc,id=charchannel0,name=vdagent ...\

   -device virtserialport,bus=virtio-\
    serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,\
    id=channel0,name=com.redhat.spice.0

Seems to me I have what is required.  Maybe not?  Do you see
anything wrong?

And still no "/dev/virtio-ports/com.redhat.spice.0" so
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/spice-vdagentd" will not start, whether
or not my guest is running.

I am at a total loss.  I really, really need the clipboard to
work.  What am I doing wrong?  What have I missed?  I am
very frustrated: I know you guys got it to work, why can't I?

Many thanks,
-T