[Spice-devel] Building qxl w/WDK

Erik Lotspeich erik at lotspeich.org
Fri Dec 7 07:48:50 PST 2012

On 12/06/2012 03:26 AM, Alon Levy wrote:
> I've never tried building from VSP, I've only built the driver using
> the WinDDK 7600.16385.1 .
>
> SPICE_COMMON_DIR is not required to be set, we use spice-protocol
> submodule now if it isn't defined.
>
> Note that the subdirectory structure changed but that was a mistake -
> pushed wip branch to master. So meanwhile just "cd xddm" and run
> "build" from there.

Thanks for your response. I successfully built the qxl driver with the
older WDK (7600.16385.1). It seems that the newer one replaces build.exe
with msbuild.exe. We'll have to figure this out to properly support
building with the newer WDK for the Windows 8 driver. I'll look into this.

The qxl driver doesn't seem 100% stable. Exercising Direct2D with one of
the samples from Microsoft caused a blue screen. But it works well
enough and I suppose it's probably best to put efforts in to the WDDM
driver.

I followed the directions for signing, but Windows still says the driver
isn't signed. It loads, so that's all I really care about at this point.
Or maybe it just complains because it's self-signed rather than signed
by a recognized CA.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Erik