[Spice-devel] Possible problems with usbredir in w7 guest on F16 host?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 05:15:13 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Gianluca Cecchi  wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Hans de Goede  wrote:

> It doesn't seem my case.
> shutdown clean of w7 guest.
> copy xml with usbredir and without the agent
> virsh define w7.xml
>
> boot
> it remains stump at attached image
>
> power off
> copy xml with agent and without usbredir
> virsh define w7.xml
>
> boot
> it asks if boot in repair or normally --> normally
> it boots ok
>
> Gianluca

Hello, some questions, as something changed on F16 packages:
After replicating this problem more times, I had to disable usbredir
in xml file to have w7 guest working
(tested same behaviour in a winxp guest too)

Now from latest virt-manager packages I have installed on my F16 host I see:

virt-manager-0.9.1-1.fc16.noarch
* Wed Feb 01 2012 Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com> - 0.9.1-1
- Rebased to version 0.9.1
- Support for adding usb redirection devices (Marc-André Lureau)
- Option to switch usb controller to support usb2.0 (Marc-André Lureau)
- Option to specify machine type for non-x86 guests (Li Zhang)
- Support for filesystem device type and write policy (Deepak C Shetty)
- Many bug fixes!

I have updated my kernel too: 3.2.3-2.fc16.x86_64 now
Where can I find information about enabling and testing usbredir
operating from virt-manager and not directly by xml editing?
Also, information for smartcard enabling would be great.

Is it supposed I connect to my vm from virt-viewer or spicy, to use usbredir?
BTW: I have virt-viewer-0.4.1-3.fc16.x86_64 without remote-viewer
$ rpm -ql virt-viewer |grep remote
$

And also, what is the meaning of the changelog line:
- Option to switch usb controller to support usb2.0 (Marc-André Lureau)

Is it independent from usbredir or related?
Thanks in advance.
I can give back some testing results...

Gianluca