[Spice-devel] usbredir and rights management

Dominique Rodrigues dominique.rodrigues at nanocloud.com
Tue Feb 7 12:40:26 PST 2012

Hi,

I have compiled spice-gtk (version 0.9) to support usbredir (version 3.3
compiled and installed) on 2 type of OS : Mageia and Debian (wheezy).

I appears that usb redirection involves root in different ways for these
OS. For mageaia, you have to give root password to access to  USB drives
in a virtual machine, while in debian root does not give any possibility
(access is not allowed).

Could you then give some insights on how to avoid these annoying
constraints from root (as you don't need to know root password in Gnome
or in KDE to access a USB key) ?

It is may be an obvious request (something in /etc/udev for instance),
but it is not clear for me to understand what to do in the case of
spice-gtk.

Thanks.

--

        Dominique Rodrigues