[Spice-devel] usbredir and rights management

Dominique Rodrigues dominique.rodrigues at nanocloud.com
Tue Feb 7 14:45:42 PST 2012

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 21:40:26 +0100, Dominique Rodrigues  wrote:  Hi,

have compiled spice-gtk (version 0.9) to support usbredir (version 3.3
compiled and installed) on 2 type of OS : Mageia and Debian (wheezy).

appears that usb redirection involves root in different ways for these OS.
For mageaia, you have to give root password to access to USB drives in a
virtual machine, while in debian root does not give any possibility (access
is not allowed).

 Could you then give some insights on how to avoid these
annoying constraints from root (as you don't need to know root password in
Gnome or in KDE to access a USB key) ?

 It is may be an obvious request
(something in /etc/udev for instance), but it is not clear for me to
understand what to do in the case of spice-gtk.

 Thanks.

Here is for
instance a message from a Debian (wheezy) Desktop when I plug a USB key
with spice-gtk :

Could not auto-redirect USB Mass Storage USB Mass
Storage [0ef5:2366] at 3-2: Could not open usb device: Access denied
(insufficient permissions) [-3]

--

DOMINIQUE RODRIGUES

  NANOCLOUD