[Spice-devel] xpi, spicec, remote-viewer & update-alternatives

David Jaša djasa at redhat.com
Thu Feb 23 06:38:28 PST 2012

Hi,

there is a problem with running the controller driven clients:

      * spice-xpi doesn't pass any option to spice-xpi-client symlink
      * remote-viewer expects --spice-controller option
      * spicec expects --controller option
      * spice-xpi doesn't know which client is target of
        spice-xpi-client symlink

The result is that current xpi can not run any client. I can see two
possibilites of getting this working again:

      * remote-viewer's --spice-controller option will change to
        --controller, spice-xpi will always run spice-xpi-client with
        --controller option
      * some magic is added to XPI to recognize client to which
        spice-xpi-client symlink points to and based on that, decide if
        it should be run with --controller or with --spice-controller.
        (I don't like this option, think about slightly different paths
        in different distros)
      * remote-viewer is modified so that it behaves like when run with
        --spice-controller option if file speficied SPICE_XPI_SOCKET
        exists, ignoring other options

I don't want to file concrete bugs until it is decided what is the best
way.

David

--

David Jaša, RHCE

SPICE QE based in Brno
GPG Key:     22C33E24
Fingerprint: 513A 060B D1B4 2A72 7F0D 0278 B125 CD00 22C3 3E24