[Spice-devel] Cross-device access in SPICE server

Noel Van Hook noel.van.hook at intelligraphics.com
Mon Mar 5 08:40:04 PST 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Yonit Halperin <yhalperi at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/02/2012 09:06 PM, Noel Van Hook wrote:
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone had any experience or insight into a way for
>> a worker in the server to get access to data from the other workers?
>> Specifically I am looking into some optimization that would require a
>> worker to have access to the surfaces stored in other workers.
>> Is there an easy way for the worker threads to access the other
>> workers?  I'm referring to the worker->surfaces[] array in
>> red_worker.c
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Noel
>>

> Hi,
>
> Currently the different workers share the pixmaps' cache (and also the glz
> dictionary). I.e., if an image is in use in more than one device, it will be
> sent to the client only once and will enter the shared cache.
> The surfaces themselves are not shared, but we plan to change the driver to
> use only one device for multiple monitors, and then maybe this will change.
> Can you be more specific about what you are trying to achieve? This will
> help to give you more details.

We are trying to me the X driver XRandR compliant in such a way that
we don't break other drivers (such as the Windows driver).
We can collect all the heads together and make them look like a single
device, but copy operations that go from one device to the other give
us problems. Currently we are trying to modify the server to be able
to access a source surface which is located on another device.

Noel

--
Noel Van Hook - Intelligraphics, Inc
522 Cooper Ave N