[Spice-devel] log file for spice-gtk

Marc-André Lureau marcandre.lureau at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 05:13:23 PDT 2012

Hi

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Alon Levy <alevy at redhat.com> wrote:
>> What do you mean by default? There are very good reasons why logging
>> files aren't used, not even by default. There are tons of things
>
> Can you give examples? libvirt produces logging files for qemu and
> itself, for example.

system daemon have proper logging. And I use logger to redirect
virt-viewer to syslog, which is much more convenient than a file
filling my limited $HOME SSD.. Also by default, it's filling
~/.xsession-errors, which very nicely fills up my disk, as of
today:!!! I am going to disable that.

-rw-------. 1 elmarco elmarco 1,2G mar 15 13:10 /home/elmarco/.xsession-errors

>> missing anyway, typically how/where/who compiled the project, the
>> gazillions of depedencies information and their own logging etc..
>
> We support RHEL, we know what depoendencies went into producing the
> executable (same for any other distro really).

If we aim for a RHEL-only solution, I would use the spice-xpi-client
scripts to do redirection, I already proposed that.

>> spice-gtk/remote-viewer probably account for 0.01% of the code that is
>> actually run.. If we want Spice domain logging, then we should dump
>> the traffic, at least we would be able to reproduce something
>> eventually..
>
> That's a straw man. I'm not suggesting to capture the traffic, I
> concede that there is such a thing as too much logging. But a default
> suitable level of INFO (that's why we have the DEBUG level in the first
> place) would work, and is what spicec has been doing.

That's vague but a suitable level imho is more like warning/critical:
things that shouldn't happen "normally".

>> And in the end, 99% of the bugs are solved with: backtrace +
>> reproducer. Not logging.
>
> I agree we prefer a reproducer + backtrace. But it isn't an argument for
> dumping the log file. Also, I'm not sure about your 99% statistic.

It's mostly useless and harmful, that's an argument .

>> By stderr redirection, if you really want to (for example, when the
>> reproducer is only on one machine)
>
> We could have spice-xpi redirect the output to a file, akin to libvirt
> redirecting qemu output.

ack for rhel

--
Marc-André Lureau