[Spice-devel] Alternate platform exploration

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Mar 29 07:06:48 PDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 03:58:17PM +0200, Attila Sukosd wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I've also been contemplating an alternative html5/js client, and as far as
> I remember, Alon proposed an extension to spice-server to actually contain
> a http server to serve the content to the browser.
> But it seems like a too big project to take on alone :)

To be most broadly useful, a HTML5 tunnelled version of SPICE would really
want to be architected as a proxy, rather than directly in the QEMU SPICE
server.

In a cloud/datacenter virt scenario you don't want to have to expose
the SPICE server connection of each VM to the user. You at most want
to expose 1 single connection per host, or better yet, not expose the
VM hosts at all. Have a separate desktop server node that proxies
all connections. So you have one single frontend to connect to and
the the URI parameters contain a UUID which is used to determine which
actual spice server to connect to.

Daniel