[Spice-devel] xf86-video-qxl performance

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Wed May 23 23:52:51 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:02:03PM -0400, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> Hi

The idea is not crazy at all. On the todo list.

> Even if doable, using theora or vp8 would result in poor visual quality
> that isn't really acceptable for desktops.
>
> Although there are some screencast video codecs (microsoft a developped
> several over the years, unfortunately, there aren't very well known, and
> I wonder how they differ from some kind of saved rdp stream)

I couldn't find any codec that was opened last time I searched.

> However, I haven't look much at optimization, but I can imagine it
> could be interesting to combine drawing operation more aggressively
> perhaps based on a timer too (I don't think we do it, but I know that we
> do some combining in some cases when the sending queue is full).

No, what we do is combine some operations (change/drop) by looking at
current outstanding messages (queued but not yet sent - in the pipe)
whenever we read a new message from the device (from the ring). There is
a good visual iirc on spice-space.org .

Doing actual merging is required to move the multiple client support
from "experimental" to "production", since it is a must for different
bandwidth clients. Another long time todo.