[Spice-devel] xf86-video-qxl performance

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Thu May 24 07:30:23 PDT 2012

> No, what we do is combine some operations (change/drop) by looking at
> current outstanding messages (queued but not yet sent - in the pipe)
> whenever we read a new message from the device (from the ring). There is
> a good visual iirc on spice-space.org .

I didn't find a visual that address that specifically; although
the spice for newbies does have a lot of information which I haven't
fully digested yet.

I do think I have the beginning of a thread to understand the specific
bug I'm seeing.  I see on the client that I get 500 or so draw fill
operations each time I move the mouse over a menu choice.  If we require
an ack every 20, at a WAN price of 80 ms per ack, you very rapidly go
right down the tubes.  So figuring out why those draw fill operations
didn't get condensed seems like the right place to start.

Am I on the right track in looking at red_current_add in red_worker.c?
And it looks like turning on PIPE_DEBUG may well get me a whole lot more
info - I'll start with that.  Any other tips or clues are appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeremy