[Spice-devel] spice-guest-tools-0.2 and Windows 2008 R2

Erik Lotspeich erik at lotspeich.org
Thu Nov 29 20:41:44 PST 2012

On 11/29/2012 09:45 AM, Alon Levy wrote:
>> On 11/29/2012 09:11 AM, David Jaša wrote:
>>> You need to extract the driver (sys, cat and inf files) from the
>>> installer and then use "Update Driver -> ... Have Disk" in Device
>>> Manager.
>>
>> For Windows 8, I follow these steps and click "Have Disk". I see the
>> Red
>> Hat QXL GPU device. But when installing the driver, it says that the
>> driver doesn't support this version of Windows.
>>
>> It's not a big deal; I can wait for the next release... :)
>
> The QXL driver doesn't support windows 8. There is ongoing work to fix this, but it's a long way off.

As a long-time Linux developer, I really know very little about Windows
development. I have Mingw and Visual Studio Express with the SDK and
I've been playing around with them a bit.

I think this is a really cool problem to solve. It seems that a WDDM
driver would be beneficial even for Windows Vista/7 as the current one
uses the XP APIs. Is this correct?

I don't have a lot of free time (kids, full-time job), but maybe I can help?

Regards

Erik