[Spice-devel] [RFC] Implement of file drag-and-drop between host and guest

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Mon Oct 22 10:54:33 PDT 2012

Hi,

On 10/22/2012 12:02 PM, Arnon Gilboa wrote:
> Alon Levy wrote:
>>
>> We could also use the existing SPICE_CLIENT_AGENT_DATA message, extending the ports to include an additional client port, keeping it compatible with multiple clients in the future. But otoh I like that your suggestion is simpler, I don't like that multiplexing that much.
>>
> Adding d'n'd support to the agent and extending the agent protocol looks simpler/better than adding a new daemon. It also has some similarities to clipboard sharing.

Exactly, since this needs some client side daemon this belongs in the existing
spice-agent, not in some new daemon. We could easily add new agent messages
+ capability for this. Note that since these files can be big we need to
be able to deal with sending files in chunks, so that other agent messages
can still get through at the same time.

I've actually been thinking about adding client -> guest support for this
for a while, we could simply make a file dragged to the client show
up on the guest desktop. Note that for large files we will want to
show a non-model progress window with a cancel button, something else
which the new agent messages will need to handel (cancellation).

Patches very much welcome !

Regards,

Hans