[Spice-devel] snappy name conflict

Marc-André Lureau marcandre.lureau at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 12:08:38 PDT 2013

Hi!

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 8:59 PM, Luis de Bethencourt
<luis at debethencourt.com>wrote:

> Hello everybody :)
>
> After 2 years of slow development snappy 0.3 is out, and it has picked up
> the interest of the Fedora packagers. The problem is that the snappy
> executable name conflicts with spice-gtk.
>
> In Fedora /usr/bin/snappy is owned by spice-gtk
> in debian/gentoo /usr/bin/snappy is owned by snappy the video player.
>
> http://projects.gnome.org/snappy/
>
> Having either renamed is equally inconvenient.
>
> So this decision is a matter of what is better for linux users. Having
> /usr/bin/snappy be a spice-gtk snapshot tool or a video player?
>
> What do you guys think?

Although snappy in spice-gtk predates snappy player by about 6 months, I
think the usefulness (and hype) of the second is obvious.

spice-gtk snappy is mainly useful in scripts for testing, so users will
need to adapt their script, or change they environment somehow (aliases or
whats not). I don't this it's a major issue. But if somebody is concerned,
raise your voice quickly.

I suggest for upcoming release to rename snappy to something like
snappy-spice (that would be easy enough to discover when completing for ex)

regards