[Spice-devel] Testing Linux multi-monitor functionality

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Fri Apr 19 02:10:35 PDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 06:36:07PM -0500, Jikku Venkat wrote:
> All,
>
> We are trying to test the Linux multi-monitor functionality that has been
> recently announced by Hans and having some trouble. I am assuming that we
> are doing something wrong or testing the wrong versions of spice, qxl, etc.
> Below is a summary. Can someone provide guidance on the right versions of
> software that are intended to work together?
>
> 1) Testing multiple monitor support with a CentOS 6.4 guest

> Server:
> qemu-kvm 0.12.1.2 (also tried qemu-kvm 0.15)
> spice-0.12.2
> spice-protocol-0.12.5
>
> qemu-kvm command line:
>
> qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -L /usr/lib/verde/etc/pc-bios -rtc
> base=localtime,clock=host,driftfix=slew -clock unix -usb -usbdevice tablet
> -monitor stdio -m 1024 -M pc -cpu qemu64 -balloon none -tb-size 2 -drive
> if=none,id=ide1-cd0,media=cdrom,snapshot=off,aio=native -device
> ide-drive,drive=ide1-cd0,bus=ide.1,unit=0,ver=0.12.1 -boot c -vga qxl
> -device qxl -global qxl-vga.vram_size=33554432

Maybe you need something like
-global qxl.revision=4
-device
qxl,id=video1,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=33554432,revision=4,bus=pci.0,addr=0x4

> Client:
> Windows running virt-viewer 0.5.3 (from spice-space.org)
> with two monitors, identical resolution

This one is a bit old, dunno how well multimonitor support works there.
Did you try with a f18 client? If it works better, this would give a hint
as to what's not working.

> Guest:
> Centos 6.4
>
> Result:
> - Only one monitor is supported
> - xrandr in the guest reports qxl-0 connected, and qxl-1 through qxl-3 as
> disconnected (it is unclear to me why there are four rather than two
> screens)

Did you try to enable one of these extra monitor through xrandr? Or is it
not possible?