[Spice-devel] Testing Linux multi-monitor functionality

Jikku Venkat jikku at vbridges.com
Tue Apr 23 10:06:31 PDT 2013

1) the suggested qemu-kvm command line options did not appear to make any
difference, with Fedora 18 as the client and with both Fedora 18 or Centos
6.4 guests)

2) Tried Fedora 18 (64-bit) guest
   - Also only one display is configured and shows up
   - xrandr reported only a single display (named "default" rather than
qxl<something>)
   - xf86-video-qxl-0.0.17 failed to build:

uxa.c: In function 'uxa_close_screen':
uxa.c:434:30: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled
by default]
uxa.c:450:2: warning: passing argument 1 of 'pScreen->CloseScreen' makes
pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
uxa.c:450:2: note: expected 'ScreenPtr' but argument is of type 'int'
uxa.c:450:2: error: too many arguments to function 'pScreen->CloseScreen'
uxa.c: In function 'uxa_driver_init':
uxa.c:540:22: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled
by default]
uxa.c:561:41: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled
by default]
uxa.c:562:30: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled
by default]

    - spice-vdagent-0.14.0 built, I replaced /usr/bin/spice-vdagent and
/usr/sbin/spice-vdagent but that did not appear to have any effect.

3) Centos 6.4 guest
    I tried enabling qxl-1 with xrandr, it continued to show as
disconnected and was not offered in the remote viewer Displays menu

Regards,
Jikku Venkat

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 4:10 AM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau at redhat.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 06:36:07PM -0500, Jikku Venkat wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > We are trying to test the Linux multi-monitor functionality that has been
> > recently announced by Hans and having some trouble. I am assuming that we
> > are doing something wrong or testing the wrong versions of spice, qxl,
> etc.
> > Below is a summary. Can someone provide guidance on the right versions of
> > software that are intended to work together?
> >
> > 1) Testing multiple monitor support with a CentOS 6.4 guest

> > Server:
> > qemu-kvm 0.12.1.2 (also tried qemu-kvm 0.15)
> > spice-0.12.2
> > spice-protocol-0.12.5
> >
> > qemu-kvm command line:
> >
> > qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -L /usr/lib/verde/etc/pc-bios -rtc
> > base=localtime,clock=host,driftfix=slew -clock unix -usb -usbdevice
> tablet
> > -monitor stdio -m 1024 -M pc -cpu qemu64 -balloon none -tb-size 2 -drive
> > if=none,id=ide1-cd0,media=cdrom,snapshot=off,aio=native -device
> > ide-drive,drive=ide1-cd0,bus=ide.1,unit=0,ver=0.12.1 -boot c -vga qxl
> > -device qxl -global qxl-vga.vram_size=33554432
>
> Maybe you need something like
> -global qxl.revision=4
> -device
>
> qxl,id=video1,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=33554432,revision=4,bus=pci.0,addr=0x4

This command line change did not help.

> > Client:
> > Windows running virt-viewer 0.5.3 (from spice-space.org)
> > with two monitors, identical resolution
>
> This one is a bit old, dunno how well multimonitor support works there.
> Did you try with a f18 client? If it works better, this would give a hint
> as to what's not working.

Tried with a Fedora 18 client - that does not work either.