[Spice-devel] aSPICE and oVirt proxy

Marc-André Lureau marcandre.lureau at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 16:38:50 PDT 2013

Hi

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 5:52 PM, i iordanov <iiordanov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello SPICE developers!
>
> When I was coding aSPICE I elected to use non-UI code from spicy. This may
> have not been the wisest choice, because the recommended client is now
> remote/virt-viewer. I'm guessing because spicy has not been maintained for
> some time, it lacks logic to authenticate with a username to an oVirt proxy.I have a few questions regarding this work.

You can consider spicy has a test client for spice-gtk. Maybe we should
move it to a tests/ subdirectory to make it more clear.

1) Have I understood correctly that oVirt proxy support is what is lacking
> in spicy?

ovirt is not what I would call a "proxy". You can ask ovirt for credentials
to a vm it manages, and then connect to it. (same with libvirt)

> 2) Are there any other connection types that require a username?

sure, that really depend what server/proxy/service you are talking about.

> 3) Do you think it is feasible to isolate the code which deals with oVirt
> proxy handling in virt-viewer and use that in aSPICE?

The isolation from libgovirt should be enough for implementing a different
client easily.

> 4) Am I better off porting the non-UI code from virt-viewer to Android and
> using that instead of the non-UI code from spicy?

No, the virt-viewer code is very much gtk+ specific. All we can share for
android should stop at non-toolkit level. (spice-glib, govirt, etc)

> Thanks in advance for any input on this topic!

yw!

--
Marc-André Lureau