[Spice-devel] Fixing the spice-gtk version scheme mess

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Feb 13 08:14:19 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 04:44:10PM +0100, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 04:23:12PM +0100, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > After this thread and the spice-gtk 0.17 release, I'm _very_ surprised to
> > > see some patches on top of the F18 and rawhide package, including (at
> > > least) one patch which is mandatory to build spice-gtk with newer gtk+
> > > versions. jhbuild is one downstream user which is impacted by this issue.
> >
> > We don't go through review for trivial build fixes in spice-gtk.
>
> In my opinion, we should follow what libvirt does here, send the patch to
> the list with a note indicating that it has already been pushed to fix the
> build.

FYI libvirt Fedora packages no longer carry patches as a general rule.
Instead for libvirt we aim to provide stable release branches with
trivial fixes applied. This ensures that the stable packages are
easily available to everyone, not merely Fedora users. I'd encourage
the same approach for spice too really.

Daniel.