[Spice-devel] Fixing the spice-gtk version scheme mess

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Wed Feb 13 08:08:12 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 04:49:53PM +0100, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
> > In my opinion, we should follow what libvirt does here, send the patch to
> > the list with a note indicating that it has already been pushed to fix the
> > build.
> > This is very helpful to let others know about such fixes. People have been
> > reporting this issue on IRC for a few days now, and it was only when
> > someone said git was building fine that I noticed this fix and could help
> > them. I would probably have remembered about it if I had seen the patch on
> > the ML..
>
> It should be first contributor reaction (or user who want to help)  to
> try a git build. Not searching through a general ML treating various
> problems and projects related to Spice, at various point in time.

In this case, their initial reaction was to ask on IRC, which makes sense
to me. And I couldn't help them as I didn't really have time to update
gtk+, see if I could reproduce, ...

> I follow spice-commits list. I invite others who needs your approach
> to do that too.

Well, spice-commits is not that convenient as you can sometimes get
multiple commits in the same email. Moreover, 95% of the mails there are
redundant with patches from the mailing list, so it's easy to miss the one
commit that you did not see on the mailing list. So it would be very nice if
you could run a quick git send-email --annotate after pushing such commits...