[Spice-devel] Fixing the spice-gtk version scheme mess

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 08:46:56 PST 2013

Hi

----- Mensaje original -----
> Hi,
>
> On 01/02/2013 05:02 PM, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> >> Nor can we realistically expect other distros to go and figure out
> >> which magic combination of fixes to apply! Therefor we *must* do
> >> bugfix releases, to make stable, well-working, versions of
> >> spice-gtk
> >> available to as wide an audience as possible.
> >
> > We only stick to a specific version in RHEL. Upstream doesn't have
> > maintained older releases.
>
> The problem is upstream does not have "maintained releases" *at all*,
> you can leave out
> the "older" part, we are not even maintaining the current release,
> iow we suck.

Well, we do maintain upstream: I fixed the last regression just a few days after the release for instance. Ie, the bare minimum is to maintain upstream. As I said, I was planning to release 0.16 shortly after for more widespread distribution. Currently from the two reporters, only one did review the patches. The second in fedora bugzilla, didn't check it yet. It's been only 10 days since the last release, and we had christmas break.

> > What I understand you are complaining about is that upstream
> > doesn't have sticky releases with only bugfixes. This is by
> > choice, not by mistake.
>
> This is by *your*, *personal* choice, not something we've decided as
> a team, and
> I say it is about time we change it, and I know for a fact I'm not
> the only one
> with the opinion that this should be changed.

You suggested a different version scheme, I try to help pointing out what is the real problem, which is we are not maintaining older release in upstream. The versioning comes after, and doesn't need to be changed.

> > 0.16 will be releases as planned, so people following upstream will
> > get the fix.
>
> They will get the fix *this time* because I complained. Doing a
> band-aid extra

I was going to release 0.16 because we had an important fix, not because of you complaining.

> release is not the answer. You conveniently did not respond to me
> pointing
> out that all spice-gtk versions in F-15 to F-18 currently are not
> "gold"
> releases but all "gold" + patches, showing that the current scheme is
> simply
> broken.

Because some of us decided to maintain older release *in Fedora*. They are welcome to do so upstream and make releases tarball instead of cherry-picking from upstream. You are blaming ourself, it's a bit ironic.

Making a branch such as 0.10 and making a tarball such as 0.10.0.3 should be fine, but I was told management doesn't like tarball and prefer individual patches. That's why I propose we maintain the branches upstream instead of doing it in Fedora & rhel.