[Spice-devel] Fixing the spice-gtk version scheme mess

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Wed Jan 23 01:29:55 PST 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 11:37:26AM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Marc-André just did a new Fedora build fixing the
> SSL issues we we're having with 0.15 (thanks for that),
> but this is based on a git snapshot, and because of
> the way our buildsys code generates git snapshot
> tarbals is numbered 0.15.3
>
> There are several problems with this:
> 1. If we've a serious bug like this, we should just do
> a new tarbal release with official announcements,
> updating of the download page, etc. Fedora / RHEL are
> not our only downstreams. Other distributions are
> packaging spice-gtk too, and we should behave as a good
> upstream for them. Doing an official  0.15.1 bugfix release
> would clearly indicate to those other upstreams that
> that is the version to use, rather then them having
> to pick a random git snapshot.

After seeing the 0.15.3 git snapshot getting into fedora, I wanted to raise
the same point, how do we get distros to know there is a critical fix for
0.15?
After having read the whole thread, I agree with Hans that the current
situation is messy, and that we generally should not package git snapshots
or have patches in our fedora package. Of course, in some exceptional
situations this can happen, in which case I'd rather we go with
tarball+patches.

But I agree with Hans that we currently are a bad upstream to work with
from a distro point of view, and that we need to improve on that...